Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 20:47:10 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra), joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, beckmann@mail.nacamar.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2 sources ?

At 11:12 AM 1/29/97 -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
>2)
>Another suggestion: a single DOS executable that, when run, will ask
>for a blank disk, format it, and copy the boot disk out of its internal
>data area, ask for another, and format it, and write out the second disk.
>
>This would let you click a "make BSD install disks" button in any
>browser that allowed ".exe" file types (ie: MS Internet Explorer 3.x)
>and end up with disks, without dicking around with rawrite or the
>other tons of excerment you have to play with now.

I don't believe it is possible to do access the raw disks from Win95 or
WinNT; at least, it is not possible from a DOS executable.  It *might* be
possible from a WinNT executable (which will also run under Win95).
However, my resident Win95/NT expert didn't know how.

>3)
>How about definining a ".sh" file type in the default mailcap for
>the FreeBSD install for NetScape or whatever, and setting up each
>port as a button which generates a .sh for the port using a CGI
>script... "click here to install this, click here to install that"
>buttons for all ports and packages.  Use a CGI script to rotor, and/or
>have the user select, a mirror site to get packages from.

I still don't like the concept of having the user *automatically* run
anything downloaded.  I don't think setting ut the mailcap to do so is a
good idea, to put it mildly.  (It almost give me enough paranoia to make me
want to switch to another OS; it is a large part of the reason I don't run
IE, _ever_.)

Eivind Eklund / perhaps@yes.no / http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/