Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 08:24:50 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Matthew Hagerty <matthew@venux.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PPP -auto -alias stopped working

> Greetings,
>
> I have a 486-DX-2 running FreeBSD and PPP to allow my internal home network
> to access the Internet on demand.  I was running 3.0 for about 2 months and
> all was fine, then one day it stopped working!  No, I did not change a
> thing, really.  I launched a browser on my Win98 box and the modem in my
> 3.0 box dialed and connected just fine, however no packets would go
> through.  I could however access the Internet from the 3.0 box console.
>
> So, at this point I decided that it must be 3.0 and reinstalled from
> scratch to 3.2-RELEASE.  After configuring PPP all worked just fine.  Now,
> 5 days later, my PPP stopped working again!!  Same symptoms, modem dials
> and connects, however no packets seem to flow.  Access from the 3.2 box
> console is okay though.
>
> Any ideas as to what is going on would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if
> anyone needs to see any logs, please let me know.  Also, please email me
> directly as I am not yet on the list (working on it).

A ``set log command phase lcp ipcp ccp chat'' log would be nice :-)
Also, a ``show mem'' and a ``show modem'' output might be useful
(you'll need to create a diagnostic socket (``set server ...'') or
run it interactively).

Also, do things go back to normal by killing & restarting ppp ?  What
does ``ps al'' say ?

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>