Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:28:59 -0500
From:      Jon Parise <jon@csh.rit.edu>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: intern named asking extern named

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 10:46:53AM +0100, Leif Neland wrote:

> A client have an internal nameserver, taking care of adresses like
> pc12.his.dom and hp7.his.dom
>
> Then somebody else is running dns for the external adresses, like
> www.his.dom

Which nameserver is the primary authoritative server for the domain?

> Is it possible for the internal bind8 first to query its own datafiles, if
> it doesn't find a name there, then ask the external nameserver before
> declaring "host not found"?

Unless I'm not following your setup entirely, you should just be able
to add the external nameserver as a "forwarder" for the internal
nameserver, e.g.:

    forwarders {
        ns.external.dom;
    }

> In other words, I want to merge the internal and external adresses, so
> both can be seen from the inside.

If you truly need to merge the two sets of addresses, you'll need to
look into things like delegation combined with master / slave
arrangements.

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology