Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:56:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Anthony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [mount.c]: Option "user"-patch

> vs> I whacked mount and umount into shape for using an option "user" in
>    [snip]
> vs> http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~stolz/mount.diff
> vs> http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~stolz/umount.diff.

> You can allow non-root users to mount and unmount devices if
> the sysctl variable "vfs.usermount" is set to "1".

The Linux 'user' option has the distinct advantage that it allows the
administrator to specify which filesystems can be mounted by
users. IIRC, Linux also permits the administrator to discriminate two
variants: One in which an arbitrary user may mount and an
(independently) arbitrary user may subsequently unmount, and a second
in which an arbitrary user may mount, and only that same user (or
root) may subsequently unmount, a specific given filesystem.

It's good to have this kind of control.  vfs.usermount does not
directly support this control.