Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:54:03 -0500
From:      "Justin W. Pauler" <jwpauler@jwpages.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound still messed up.

Let me add a little more information from mine that I forgot..

(77) drnet@pauler: ~> uname -a
FreeBSD pauler.lgtch02.fais.net 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #1: Sun Jul  9 13:46:53 GMT 2000

(78) drnet@pauler: ~> dmesg | grep pcm
pcm0: <Yamaha OPL-SAx> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x530-0x537,0x388-0x38f,0x330-0x331,0x370-0x371 irq 5 drq 0,1 on isa0

(79) drnet@pauler: ~> cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jul  9 2000 13:45:25
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Yamaha OPL-SAx> at io 0x530 irq 5 drq 0:1 (1p/1r channels duplex)

XMMS 1.0.1

Kernel:
  device pcm

System:
  Pentium II 233 w/MMX
  96MB RAM

Like I said earlier, I don't have any problems in X w/KDE. I have even tried
making my own mp3's and the quality is still good, even at the console without
X running. I do hear the static when switching consoles but it is very quiet
and almost un-noticeable. Could this actually be coming from the video card?

This card is actually supposed to be one of the lower-end models so I would
expect problems with it before any Sound Blaster product.

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Charlie ROOT wrote:
> Sound works fine over here (3.4-R), but I have noticed noise on mouse and
> HD activity.  Then again, I remember hearing such noises under Linux and
> Windoze, and have resigned myself to live with it until I:
> a) get a sound card with an external power supply,
> b) get a sound card with digital output, or
> c) take out the old soldering iron and attach a capacitor across the ISA
>    bus power contacts.
<snip>

> On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Justin W. Pauler wrote:
>
> > All I can add to this topic is that this driver works perfectly with only a
> > very few problems here. The audio is very clear, however, I do hear the small
> > amount of static when changing consoles, but I also remember having this
> > problem in Linux :P not being able to fix it there either.
> >
> > pauler# cat /dev/sndstat
> > FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jul  9 2000 13:45:25
> > Installed devices:
> > pcm0: <Yamaha OPL-SAx> at io 0x530 irq 5 drq 0:1 (1p/1r channels duplex)
> > pauler#
> >
> > Justin W. Pauler (jwpauler@jwpages.com)
> > JWPages Web Development (http://www.jwpages.com)

Justin W. Pauler