Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 20:36:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Opera for FreeBSD

Late reply, byt anyway ...

Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com> wrote:
 > > > I am glad that my visit to websites is no longer recorded as
 > > > being from a Linux machine.
 > >
 > > In /etc/sysctl.conf:
 > >
 > > compat.linux.osname=FreeBSD
 > > compat.linux.osrelease=4.7-RELEASE
 >
 > Heh. Yes, I was very impressed by this idea a long time ago. And
 > immediately set it, so that the target websites would get the correct
 > user agent information[0]

That's what I do, too.  And I can continue to use the Linux
binary, which seems to have less bugs and lets me use the
flash plugin etc.

 > I left it that way right up until I cranked up a VMWare session for
 > manipulating Turd/Visio docs for Real Work, and discovered that VMWare
 > gets all upset and refuses to run...

VMWare only looks at the version information.  So you can
set osname to FreeBSD and osrelease to 2.4.2 or whatever.
Looks funny, but at least the name of our OS is in there ...

 > [0] And I don't know what gives anyone the impression that this data is
 > actually being extracted/examined, much less analysed, in this day, age
 > & economic climate?

I see quite a lot of web sites who provide various access
statistics, including by browser and by OS.  This is even
a default feature of popular tools like PHPnuke.  Also,
the famous Netcraft surveys do it.

Remember, managers and people in charge for spending money
like statistics.  ;-)

 > Rather, a substantial %-age of websites I visit show all the tell-tale
 > signs of no longer having a competant web master working there...

*sigh*  You're right, but that's another story ...

Regards
   Oliver