Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:15:41 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Threads stuff

On 1999-Nov-29 05:54:55 +1100, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:
>Do we really want to be able to bind a _thread_ to a CPU?

Yes.

>  Wouldn't it be sufficient to be able to bind a process to a CPU?

Not really.  If a process has multiple threads, it makes sense to be
able to specify CPU affinity for each thread, since each thread can
be scheduled independently.

If you've got a multi-threaded process, I'm not sure why you'd want to
bind it as a whole to a single CPU.  This implies that only one thread
can ever execute at once - which removes one major use for threads.

Peter