Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2018 03:17:49 -0600
From:      Scott Bennett <bennett@sdf.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   why does buildworld fail on stable/11 ?

     I tried asking for help on this several days ago on freebsd-questions@,
but got no responses.  I'm trying freebsd-stable@ next because it involves
trying to build world on a 11.1-STABLE system from a freshly checked out,
unaltered source tree at r328251.  The system currently installed is from a
11.1-STABLE installer image:

FreeBSD hellas 11.1-STABLE FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #0 r326620: Wed Dec  6 15:08:03 UTC 2017     root@releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I would like to keep it reasonably up to date, but I am stumped.
     I did a fresh svn checkout into a completely empty /usr/src, but when
I tried to run a "make buildworld", it failed like this.

Script started on Mon Jan 22 02:11:21 2018
hellas#	setenv CCACHE_DIR /buildwork/ccache.freebsd
hellas#	cd /usr/src
hellas#	date && \
? time nice +11 make buildworld  && date
Mon Jan 22 02:13:05 CST 2018
Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

Unknown modifier 'U'

"/usr/src/share/mk/src.sys.mk", line 28: Option DIRDEPS_BUILD may only be defined in , environment, or make argument, not /etc/src.conf.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/src
0.035u 0.047s 0:01.65 4.2%	15254+422k 88+21io 31pf+0w
hellas#	exit
exit

Script done on Mon Jan 22 02:13:19 2018

Note that 'U' has not always been the letter complained of in the "Unknown
modifier" messages.  The content of /etc/src.conf is as follows.

PORTS_MODULES=multimedia/cuse4bsd-kmod sysutils/pefs-kmod emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod net/ndproxy
WITH_LLDB=yes
#WITH_FAST_DEPEND=yes
WITH_CCACHE_BUILD=yes

As you can see, there is no DIRDEPS_BUILD in /etc/src.conf.  I don't even
know what DIRDEPS_BUILD is.
     Anyway, I'm stuck.  Can someone please tell me what is going wrong and
how to fix it?  I'd really like to be able to update my system, not only to
keep it reasonably current, but also to be able to customize a kernel.  Thanks
in advance for any suggestions/solutions.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *