Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 1998 21:41:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Nash <nash@mcs.net>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firewall in kernel? - Found it!

On 10 Jan, Simon Shapiro wrote:
> While you may have saved an hour or six by not serializing your process,
> the totall loss of time for the project was the accumulated failure time
> and debug time and fix time, and discussion time for the entire project.

One of these time losses is incurred with every commit, the other is
not.  Therefore the net worth of this methodology really depends on how
often the latter occurrs (I'm not convinced that the tree is broken
often enough to make this a net gain).

> Assume we had a way to reliably ``lock'' the IP Firewall code and issue
> an advisory lock to all afflicted parties (this technology is available;
> I have demonstrated such a system on the original Tahoe).
>
> In this model, the first to grab a ``lock'' on IP firewalls, will becone the
> focal point (the ``submitter'') for all code relating to IP firewalls.

How do you define who all the afflicted parties are?  Locking
/etc/rc.conf seems an extreme price to pay for working on the firewall
code.  And what about libalias?  Until two days ago there were no ties
between it and ipfw, so again the problem would have gone unchecked.
Now you could say that the committer of the libalias code has to lock
ipfw beforehand, but locking a subsystem because you plan to use its
interface seems extreme.

Alex