Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:53:48 -0200 (BRDT)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?T=F3rgan_Flores_de_Siqueira?= <torgan@inf.ufrgs.br>
To:        fcash-ml@sd73.bc.ca
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.x concerns (Freedie Cash)

--915389964-1007924040-1107960828=:26579

> On February 7, 2005 03:40 pm, Tórgan Flores de Siqueira wrote:
>> Just adding a note: I regularly use FreeBSD on a Toshiba notebook,
>> and switched from 4.x to 5.x to benefit from cardbus support.
>> Well, I started with 5.2.1 and all things did well. Since then, I'm
>> trying to track 5-STABLE with no success. Starting with 5.3-RELEASE,
>> the ACPI stopped to work, as well as did the rl driver.
>> So, I switched back to 5.2.1.
>
> What model Toshiba laptop are you using?
>
> I'm curious as I have a Toshiba Satellite A60 that works quite nicely
> with FreeBSD 5.2.1, 5.3, and 6-CURRENT (with the exception of the
> WinModem and soundcard not working, and the ATA controllers only being
> recognised as UDMA33).  The NIC works, the wireless NIC works, the CPU
> throttling works, the video card works perfectly in 2D and provides
> software 3D support (there's no AGP module for the ATI Radeon 7000 IGP
> chipset).  Even the USB 2.0 ports work.
>
> 5.2-CURRENT had working sleep/resume support, but then it disappeared
> one day, and I was never able to track down if it was a BIOS update,
> ACPI update, or driver update that killed it.  Not that it bothers me,
> I prefer to power it off completely anyway.

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2060CDS (kind of old, I now).
I already posted a message to this list mentioning the 2
problems I have, but here it goes:
- Using 5.2.1, the system works fine. I didn't tested the winmodem,
so, I can't tell if it works.
- From 5.3-RELEASE onwards, I'm having problems with the rl driver:
the NIC doesn't work at all, and the problem seems to be the well-
known "rl0: watchdog timeout". I saw a patch some time ago in this
list, but I couldn't test it yet.
- Also since 5.3-RELEASE onwards, the ACPI system stopped to work.
This is a more serious problem, and I haven't managed to get a
usefull report, as the machine hangs at random points in the
booting process. By random points, I mean in different stages of
probing hardware. The only way to boot the machine is disabling
ACPI.

In 5.2.1 the sleep/resume support works well, except for the NIC
(a pcmcia RTL 8139). There is no way I could get the card working
after a resume.
The wireless card works like a charm, and so does the usb port, never
get in trouble with them. The soundcard works well, too.

I updated the BIOS (from 7.50 to 7.80), but it didn't help.
With 5.3+ I also tried different kernel options, enabling/disabling SMP,
apic, miibus, cbb, rl, apm and acpi, as builtin and as modules, but never
get it to work.

By now, I'm using 5.2.1-p13, and I'm trying to get the NIC working
after a resume. I'm also working in a minor issue: the VESA_800x600
raster mode. It seems to be another problem with this model, not being
able to put it in raster mode (100x37). (This model uses a S3 video
card).
I googled around and searched freebsd-mobile, but didn't find
anything related.

[]s

Tórgan
--915389964-1007924040-1107960828=:26579--