Date:      Sat, 6 Mar 1999 19:24:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dyson@iquest.net
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, tlambert@primenet.com, dick@tar.com, jplevyak@inktomi.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lockf and kernel threads

> For other I/O, it dynamically creates thread pools, and uses threads
> as needed.  Threads don't end up being created and destroyed that often,
> because the requests are handled dynamically by the threads, and the
> threads dynamically attach/detach to the process address space.  If the
> threads don't get used for a long time, they start disappearing.
>
> The scheme sort-of creates anonymous threads that are used as resources
> for multiple processes.
>
> Eventually, most of the I/O types won't have to be threaded, but the
> thread scheme is a concept proof of the ability to create anonymous
> workers in the BSD kernel.
>
> (Actually, the thread work was much more complex than the RAW I/O.)

This resembles my second optimization for async call gates.

This code is worthwhile, despite the complexity, due to the ability
to proxy the operations in a distributed environment, if you don't
know how to complete the operations locally, or can't because of
resource starvation.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---