Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 13:33:16 -0800
From:      James Long <list@museum.rain.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compaq ML310 integrated ATA100 RAID controller supported?

One of the smaller offices where I work is looking to replace a decrepit
P90 desktop running FreeBSD with newer server hardware.  They got a quote
from a vendor who wants to sell them a Compaq Proliant ML310 with two
40G ATA100 drives on a controller which does RAID 1 in hardware.

I looked at the supported hardware list on freebsd.org to see whether
the integrated ATA RAID controller in a Compaq ML310 is supported by
FreeBSD.  I see no mention of it, but I am not giving up yet.

I have not found any information on Compaq's web site as to what
chipset or manufacturer Compaq uses to implement this ATA RAID control-
ler.  Any leads as to the technical info of the controller chipset, and
the degree of compatibility with any existing (or forthcoming) FreeBSD
drivers would be appreciated.

What I have found is the name of the driver, "MegaIDE," and some various
links to RedHat-ish tech support articles, such as:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/15976.html

If anyone is anyone running an ML310 with the integrated ATA RAID, I'd
be grateful to know what device it uses, and any installation considera-
tions arise from use of the integrated ATA RAID.

Thanks in advance,

Jim