Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 15:23:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Subject:   Re: max math performance - how?

Hello,

Bruce Evans wrote:

> 386BSD used libm, which is slow.  -current uses msun, which is
> slower, except possibly if it is compiled with option HAVE_FPU.

I brought libmsun and the GPL'ed MATH_EMU into the tree for only one
reason, so I could run gs 3.X on a 386 w/o a math co.  The added bonus was that
this same machine could also pass varius tests for ieee math processing.

Maybe we should go back to libm as the default and tell people that if they
have either the GPL'ed MATH_EMU  --OR-- a real math-co then they should
should compile libmsun with HAVE_FPU.

This brings up another joint subject.  Does GCC still use a dumb version
of some math routines as default or has this changed?

> Bruce

Gary

--
Gary Clark II   (N5VMF) |    I speak only for myself and "maybe" my company
gclarkii@GBData.COM     |          Member of the FreeBSD Doc Team