Date:      Wed, 01 Oct 1997 19:41:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        freebsd-dlm@primer.i-connect.net
Subject:   Welcome, and a Kickoff

Hi Y'all.

You are on this mailing list because you expressed (even a fleeting)
interest in this subject.

To unsubscribe, send an empty e-mail message to:

This list is dedicated to the review and discussion of Distributed Lock
Managers.  Since our initial implementation is on FreeBSD, it is the
platform of choice for this discussion, at this time.

Some ground rules:

The DLM presented here today, is work in progress.  Until it is stabilized,
debugged and delivered, it is NOT intended for wide distribution.

I am not an attorney, and do not intend to be one.  Here is an explanation
of what I mean, in regards to ownership and distribution of this package.

*  The source code is owned by myself and my Employer, Atlas Telecom of
   Portland, Oregun, USA.  So is the binaries copyrights.

*  Until we finish debugging and release this code to the public, we ask
   that no porting to other platforms, incorporating into commercial
   products, or re-development takes place.

*  Official release of the product will happen when BOTH the following
   conditions occur:

   A.  I say so;  this will happen when I trust the code enough to put a
       critical application on it.

   B.  The formal FreeBSD review is over and the code is accepted for
       inclusion in the standard source tree.  If the FreeBSD organization
       rejects the code for reasons other than code quality, this will be
       viewed as acceptance in my eyes.

*  The purpose of these conditions is to make sure we are not bombarded by
   porting and quality issues before the product is released.  We also want
   to make sure it is of utmost quality.

*  The two options to these conditions are :  a) do not release the source,
   or b) do not release the DLM at all.  We feel strongly that neither
   option is a good nor acceptable one.  But, less acceptable is releasing
   of trashy, broken, ill-concieved or incomplete code.

Any of you who wishes to review the code, compile it, test it. debug it,
etc. is welcome.  Please post all patches, suggestions, etc. to this list,
or directly to me.

IMPORTANT:  Once matured and stabilized, the code WILL BE RELEASED.  If it
            were not, I would not have made this version available.

OK, What's Where?

On ftp://primer.i-connect.net/crash you will find several files:

dlm_X.Y.Z.patch:  Includes all the modification to FreeBSD-3.0-current, as
                  of the date of the file.  This patch includes the DPT
                  driver, as I am a lazy bum and hate managing patches.

DLMdesign.{dvi,ps}:  Describes the DLM, what it does and why.

It is recommended that the uninitiated reads the design paper before
attempting to read the sources.

Please let us know what you think.  Even if it is good.  Especially if it
is bad.

---

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                                  Voice:   503.799.2313