Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 15:55:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> If one school cost $12 instead of $10, the parents of a child in that
> school would pay $5 instead of $3.  I think what you want to do is
> cover a minimum.
>
> The proposal that's been around for quite a while, in different forms,
> is the school voucher.  The parents get a voucher for a child worth
> say $1500 (probably something less than the full cost of sending the
> kid to public school).  They can take this to any school, public or
> private; if public, they pay no more.  If private (including parochial
> schools) they pay whatever the school charges in addition.
[lots of good stuff elided here...]

> I like the school voucher approach better than increasing the
> personal exemption, because it provides choice at all income
> levels.

Annelise, tho only thing that scares me about the school voucher thing is
the terrible fact of prejudice.  You're in academia somewhat, aren't you?
I don't know if you have the visibility to the politics that editors and
publishers of school texts have to wade thru.  It makes it hard to produce
books that actually teach something, because local school boards are very
often more interested in pursuing local prejudices.

At the state level, this is absolutely endemic.  I consider this really
hamful.  I like to think of myself as being egalitarian.  While no one is
free of prejudice, I try, and school vouchers (it seems to me) allow this
kind of abuse without any limitation.

Annelise, if you can comment on that, I'd appreciate it, I really would.
I'm not against school vouchers for any other reason that I can think of.
[You too, Jon, but Annelise deals with public policy, and I'm really
interested in her take on this].

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |