Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 02 00:01:09 PST
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com (Perry Hutchison)
To:        akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation/setup attempt not going well

The network setup now looks much better, but I still don't know how
to go about finding and installing the "unknown server" for XF86.
When I try to select the Trident TGUI9680 card, I get (verbatim):

    *** The server required by your card is not installed!  Please
    abort, install the unknown server as /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_unknown
    and run this program again ***

Is the "unknown server" in one of the distribution sets or packages,
or do I have to track it down elsewhere (and if so, where)?  Or,
is "unknown" a placeholder for something else (and if so, what)?

On other matters:

> Yes, do pkg_info to show installed packages/ports

That extracts the list, which is certainly a start.  Is there a way
to feed it back into the installer, or do I still have to pick them
out of the menus by hand?

> "Faith" is an ipv6 translator, you don't want to change any settings on that.

In that case, I think it would be an improvement to change the
description from <unknown network interface type> to something
along the lines of <IPv6 translator> or even <internal use only>.
As it is, that menu entry looks like a way to install or select
a driver for a currently-unrecognized interface.

> > ep0: <3Com 3C509-Combo EtherLink III> at port 0x210-0x21f irq 10 on isa0
> > ep0: No irq?!
>
> You need to disable PNP in your system's BIOS.

Had already been done, I think.  "PNP OS Installed" was already set to
"No".  I couldn't find any other BIOS settings that sounded like they
would disable PNP.  (Asus P2L97 board with Award 4.51PG BIOS, in case
it matters.)

> Also check to make sure you have enough IRQ's assigned to legasy mode.

This appears to have been the problem.  Only "IRQ  5 Used By ISA" was
set to "Yes", but 3, 4, 7, 9-12, 14, and 15 were all set to "No/ICU"
(whatever ICU means).  I changed IRQ 10 to also be "Yes", forcing
the BIOS to move USB to another IRQ, and ep0 is now included in the
sysinstall list under Configure/Networking/Interfaces.

This would have been much easier to track down if ep0 had been listed
in the initial kernel config as having a "conflict".  I don't think
ep0 was listed at all -- if it was, I missed it.

Also, I'd suggest improving that "No irq?!" message.  Something along
the lines of "Irq 10 already assigned to uhci0" would have been more
descriptive in this case -- granted there may be other causes for this
message.

> Next  there is a configure utility
> available from 3Com to set up that card. You will have to boot your machine
> with a DOS boot disk, Then run the 3Com utility to setup your NIC and an IRQ.
> A careful look through dmesg should provide one that's not in use.

Had already been done.  Just to make sure, I downloaded the latest
version.  It shows PNP disabled, and the same I/O base and IRQ as
in the dmesg.