Date:      Mon, 07 Aug 2017 01:07:44 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   misc/pinfo fails on not being to use ncurses

Last night I attempted to build misc/pinfo on FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE amd64, but it found ncurses not usable for whatever reason.

I had something like that previously, about three years ago.

Should I include the whole config.log (87869 bytes)?

Briefly, error was

configure: checking location of readline.h file...
Found readline on /usr/local/include/readline/readline.h
checking for readline version... 7
checking location of curses.h file... /usr/local/include/ncurses/ncurses.h
checking if curses is usable... no
configure: error: Curses not found. You need curses to compile pinfo
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
Please report the problem to ports@FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach the
"/BETA1/usr/ports/misc/pinfo/work11/pinfo-0.6.10/config.log" including the
output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be a good idea to
provide an overview of all packages installed on your system (e.g. a
/usr/local/sbin/pkg-static info -g -Ea).
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I could also ask what other info file viewers there are, better than the GNU info that was formerly part of FreeBSD base system.

When I was using Linux Slackware, Konqueror had a good info viewer, but I don't want to have to build and install KDE.

I didn't like Emacs' info viewer when I tried that years ago but haven't run Emacs recently.

Tom