Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2000 17:37:40 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Chia-liang Kao <clkao@CirX.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP!: config changes...

Chia-liang Kao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there anyway to put the device.hint stuff into kernel nevertheless?
> My diskless box fetches the kernel would know nothing about things reside
> in device.hint.

That is what the hints directive is for.

you could create a file "diskless.hints" and add the line to your config
file:
  hints "/wherever/diskless.hints"
and the contents of that file would be statically compiled in.  You can still
override them at boot time if you wish, but the basic set will be there.

This is what GENERIC does right now.  It compiles GENERIC.hints straight in.
(see hints.c in compile/YOURKERNEL)

Cheers,
-Peter