Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 1995 17:53:50 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>, "Heiko W.Rupp" <hwr@pilhuhn.de>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1-stable just hangs

Jonathan M. Bresler writes:
> On Mon, 20 Nov 1995, Nate Williams wrote:
> > One *last* thing that deserves mention is that I wasn't seeing the hangs
> > until after I added an external HP3C scanner.  The scanner has a switch
> > to enable termination, and termination is enabled.  I don't have any way
> > of sticking an active terminator on this box either.  However, adding
> > the scanner occurred at the same time as the load averages tended to go
> > nuts, so it may be coincidental.
>
> 	can you rearrange scsi devices to place the scanner in the middle
> of a scsi chain with active termination at wither end ??

Nope, it can *ONLY* be at the end of the chain since it has very
non-standard connectors.  It has one Centronics connector (used), and a
DB25 connector which is normally used to hook the scanner up to it's
crappy SCSI card.

> > If it keeps going nuts, I may remove the scanner from the picture.  If
> > so, I'm not sure how to solve my problem long-term, short of buying
> > another SCSI card just to drive the scanner.
>
> 	NCR SC200 53C810 fast scsi-ii card for pci.  its inexpensive and
> works great in my box.  (i have hte same chip on the motherboard)   this
> may be an option, if you have to add a scsi card.

If you read the article fully, you'd know that's the card I have now. ;)

Nate