Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 10:09:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Time to retire fetch?

<<On Mon, 05 Jan 1998 02:03:56 -0800, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> said:

> I just noticed that FTP in -current now supports http:// style
> fetches, a feature which seems to have crept in under my nose during
> the sync with NetBSD's ftp client.

And I made it know at the time my strong opposition to such changes.
It's simply idiotic for an interactive for the FTP protocol to know
the slightest thing about the HTTP protocol.  (Another bogus change at
the same time: the `ls' command was broken to generate the `NLST'
command instead of `LIST'.)

AFAIK, fetch is still the only client we have to do MD5 digests, HTTP
authentication, HTTP/1.1, transaction TCP, and transparent redirects.
The ports collection may not require these things, but the ports
collection is not the whole universe.

Granted, I have some auctorial interest in this particular
implementation.

-GAWollman