Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 1996 06:04:38 +0900
From:      Masafumi NAKANE/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQ2Y6LDJtSjgbKEI=?= <max@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        max@sfc.wide.ad.jp
Subject:   problems with comconsole of current kernel

Hi,

     I've been using boot block compiled with FORCE_COMCONSOLE macro
defined and it has been working fine until I changed my kernel to the
current one.  (It works OK with kernel from 04/22.)

     First, when I boot up the system, message as follows appears on
the screen of PC that is connected to the com1 of the FreeBSD box:

Serial console forced.
>> FreeBSD BOOT @ 0x10000: 640/31744 k of memory
Usage: [[[0:][wd](0,a)]/kernel][-abcCdhrsv]
Use 1:sd(0,a)kernel to boot sd0 if it is BIOS drive 1
Use ? for file list or press Enter for defaults

Boot:
dosdev = 80, biosdrive = 0, unit = 0, maj = 0
Booting 0:wd(0,a)/kernel @ 0x100000
text=0xe8000 data=0x14000 bss=0x13cac symbols=[+0x354+0x4+0x109c8+0x4+0x150f2]
total=0x235ac2 entry point=0x100000

After showing this message, FreeBSD disconnects the serial line (I
think it's dropping the carrier detect.) and no message is displayed.
After system boots up, I can login from the com1 OK, but no message to
the console is sent to the com1.

     Also, while I'm logged in, let's say I want to transfer some
files using zmodem and executed rz on FreeBSD.  Then I execute sz on
DOS (on the machine that is connected to the com1.).  Usually, this
procedure sends files from the PC to the FreeBSD box without problem.
However, with the current kernel, sz on DOS box doesn't even start
transfering the files and when I abort the transfer and try to get
back to FreeBSD prompt, I'm logged out automatically.

     Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

     Thanks in advance.

          Masafumi NAKANE, Keio Univ., Dept. of Environmental Information
E-Mail : t94303mn@sfc.keio.ac.jp / max@sfc.wide.ad.jp
[URL] :  http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~t94303mn