Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 09:40:29 -0800
From:      "George W. Dinolt" <george.w.dinolt@lmco.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, roberto@eurocontrol.fr
Subject:   RE: XFree86 3.3.5 [LONG]

I have been able to get XFree86 to build and install (except for the
aout libraries) under -current with the 2.95.2 gcc compilers. It turns
out that under the new gcc in -current (2.95.2), the cpp built only
defines GNUC (touch /tmp/foo.h;cpp -dM /tmp/foo.h). If one looks at the
variables defined by cpp in FreeBSd-3.x one sees that __FreeBSD__  and
i386 are defined. These are used by the Imake.cf file in
XFree86/work/xc/config/cf to determine which "operating system" to
configure with. (imake uses cpp to most of its dirty work.) Once I had
worked that out, I developed a "cheat", I added

#define __FreeBSD__ 4
#define i386 1

to the Imake.cf file just before the usage of __FreeBSD__ in the file.
Once I did this, the build worked as expected. The output is usable,
i.e. I built fvwm2 and was able to use my X system. Of course, your
mileage may vary. Note that I just built the SVGA server, but I assume
that the others would also work, since as part of my playing around, I
did compile them.

This approach is clearly not the "right" one. It may be that one should
have cpp, by default, define operating system and processor type
variables as is done on FreeBSD 3.x and the 2.95.2 version of cpp on
sparc (solaris). This is what the XFree86 system expects. I haven't had
time to figure out how to get cpp to do this. Maybe someone with more
knowledge can work this out.

--
Regards,
George W. Dinolt