Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 08:31:31 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Brian Zhou" <brian_zhou@usa.net>
Cc:        "Brian Somers" <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh connection => network connection

> > > If thru a firewall I can remote login from inside-host to outside-host
> via
> > > socksified ssh, can I somehow turn that connection into a network
> > > connection? My goal is to be able to ping outside-host from inside-host.
> > > How? The inside-host is FreeBSD/Linux and outside-host is HP-UX.
> > >
> > > Options such as using socksified application are not feasible since the
> > > firewall only allow ssh traffic to a particular outside-host.
> >
> > If you've got access to an outside machine you can use ppp(8) to
> > tunnel through the firewall using something like
> >
> >  set device "!ssh myexternalmachine /usr/sbin/ppp -direct in"
> >

> Will that work if each time I need to type a different password for ssh
> (securID)? Or do you know a way around?

If you run ppp in the background (with -auto or -ddial) with DISPLAY
set, ssh will pop up a dialogue (ssh-add style) on your display.

> I dual boot FreeBSD/Linux, I couldn't figure out an easy way in Linux to
> pty-redir the tty if I have to type in password first, unless I write an
> expect chat script. I guess this is quite common practice in establishing
> PPP connection.

If you need to do it at the chat stage (for login/password w/ securID
cards), you can specify your chap password as ``!program'' or specify
your chat script password as ``!program''.  If ``program'' is x-aware
it can look quite pretty.  See the tcl examples in
/usr/share/examples/ppp.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>