Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:36:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@FreeBSD.ORG>, Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>, Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch for critical_enter()/critical_exit() & interrupt assem

:>     rather then make it more complex.  You have your fingers in just about
:>     every single goddamn file in the system and you and others have cried
:>     wolf one too many times.  I am through with playing that game.
:>
:>     The commit goes in.  I am open to any suggestions you have for stage-2,
:>     which will be a furtherance of the cleanup, but I absolutely refuse to
:>     allow you to prevent me from contributing to the SMP work in -current
:>     for a forth time because it doesn't exactly match your dream or
:>     N-month-old stale patches you might have sitting around in P4.
:
:My suggestion will be to back it out.  I would rather not have to make said
:suggestion.  Can you please try to fit this into the existing framework rather
:than ripping it all up?  We need to finalize and test the design before we
:hardcode too many assumptions about the implementation into the interface. You
:have pointed out some issues with the current interface which are valid and I
:would like to address those, however, there are still changes to the MI
:implementation that need to go in once it doesn't crash right and left.  If you
:wish I could commit the code and make current a living hell for everyone, but
:my ethics don't permit me to test code that I know is broken.
:
:John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>  <><  http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/

    You still don't get it, John.  What you've done with critical_enter()
    and critical_exit() is not design a bunch of routines to an API.  What
    you've done is write a bunch of routines and made the API conform to
    them.   You have also put your fingers into so many pies that I haven't
    been able to do one things with SMP without tripping over something you've
    got in your tree that you haven't committed.  Hell, I don't think you
    even understand what my patch does!  I think you and a few others have
    gotten the rumor mill running in overdrive on IRC and can't see the hand
    in front of your faces because of it.

    I think you need to take a step back and consider focusing on one
    subsystem at a time rather then trying to control the whole project
    all by yourself.

    The commit will be going in in a few minutes.  If you have work related
    to the critical_*() code, such as the preemption work, I see no problem
    getting it in.  All you have to do is discuss it on the lists.  In fact,
    judging by what you posted on IRC I would have to say that my framework
    is going to work a whole lot better in regards to dealing with preemption
    then the hacks you've thrown together!

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>