Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 22:53:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@IAE.nl>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad memory suspected

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Willem Jan  Withagen wrote:

> Being probably bitten again by some bad memory, I'm considering applying
> some of my old (VLSI) testingskills to this. However.....
>
> I'm in dire need of some hints, some because I haven't kept up with the
> intimate details of Intel hardware, nor do I know how to get a lineair
> memory space for all the fysical memory available in the system.
>
> The starting problems are:
> 1) I'd like to do this als a loadable kernel module, so one would load this
> module on the boot-prompt and let it eat away CPU time until it is rebooted.

I've found that multiple, parallel `make world's is a better tester than
the pattern testers/"Burn-in" tools (ie AMIDiag) that are floating around.
Compiling is a full-body workout -- when it hits a bad bit, it'll tank
rather spectactularly.

I have systems that pass repeated AMIDiag sweeps but couldn't build a
kernel or survive a database churn to save their lives.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org