Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:29:49 -0400
From:      "John Straiton" <jsmailing@clickcom.com>
To:        "'Chad Albert'" <chadalbert@mchsi.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Server Hardware

We've had a lot of success with Dell hardware, however the RAID
controllers have consistently been a problem. With the older hardware,
they would sell AMI & Adaptec controllers which of course meant that if
you weren't careful, you'd get an Adaptec and not be able to use it, and
more recently we got a 1650 or 2650 (can't remember which) but it used a
controller the on prior models (1550,2550) we could just do a firmware
downgrade on to get it to be detected by the install program but with
the newer models they didn't have the downgrade firmware available to
use.

Out of about 3 dozen dell servers from 1U up to the 6U versions we've
never had a problem outside of the RAID controllers on versions of
FreeBSD post 4.X (whenever they added PERC controllers)

John Straiton
jks@clickcom.com
Clickcom, Inc
704-365-9970x101