Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 16:19:19 -0400
From:      C Matthew Curtin <cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: freefall down/dead?

JKH> freefall has been up for 11 days, and it's the Internet which
JKH> goes down more frequently now.  Ping isn't much of a test - use
JKH> traceroute to see if it's actually us or something in between.

I've found that it's very often impossible to get there when my ISP
decides to route over a connection to Sprint.  I talked them out of
doing that, and now they route over MCI, but still occasionally can't
make it.

Usually, it's a confused router someplace, continually routing through
itself, or two routers throwing the packets back and forth at each
other...

I can see it now...

Router 1: Here you go

Router 2: It's not mine

Router 1: Yeah, but you can get there

Router 2: You're closer

Router 1: No I'm not

Router 2: I'm not routing this packet

Router 1: Look, this is a user's packet!

Router 2: If it's such an emergency, then *you* route it.

Router 1: Ok, here you go....

--
C Matthew Curtin                MEGASOFT, LLC                Chief Scientist
I speak only for myself.  Don't whine to anyone but me about anything I say.