Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 20:47:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Jim Jones <jjones2k@adelphia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Statement & Question to the group.

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Jim Jones wrote:

> First of all, I want to thank those who replied with good info. As to
> where I can download Unix and what files to get, it looked like a big
> mess to me. Newbie I guess (with this site).

Please wrap your lines. 70 or 80 characters would be nice. See
http://www.lemis.com/email.html

As to the mess, I'd say it's much easier if you can dedicate a machine
to playing around with FreeBSD. Find an old PC (486? Pentium 90?) which
is no longer useful for Some Other OS (tm), and dedicate it to FreeBSD.
I did this 2.5 years ago, and now that machine is a firewall/router/web
server/mail server etc.

> I am very excited in learning all aspects of Unix. I have a lot of
> knowledge in other areas but not unix. What is the suggestion of the
> day for someone like me who wants to learn ALL the tricks, commands
> (of different systems), anything and everything that will enhance my
> knowledge and ability to achieve what I desire the
> most......Excellence !!!

You can't learn "all" unless you're much smarter and more motivated (and
have lots more time) than most people. The body of knowledge is
*enormous.* For a start, try http://www.ugu.com/ - they actually have a
"tip of the day" section.

Also, don't underestimate the value of a good book. If I could only have
one unix book, it would be _Essential_System_Administration_ by Frisch
(O'Reilly). Also invaluable: _The_Complete_FreeBSD_ by Greg Lehey
(Walnut Creek);  _TCP/IP_Network_Administration_ by Hunt (O'Reilly);
_DNS_and_BIND_ by Albitz & Liu (O'Reilly).

HTH.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
[1]    Bus error                     netscape