Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2002 01:02:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@TheWorld.com>
To:        toh@boonwee.per.sg
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: creative sound card

This is probably best for -questions, but I'll see if I can answer... ;)

SBLive uses "device pcm" only, no sbc.  If I understand
correctly, the sbc device is for ISA SoundBlasters & pcm
for their PCI SoundBlasters (& others).  See the manpages
for pcm(4) and sbc(4).  I've been using a SBLive/value for
~1 year & it works fine.  This is with an ASUS mainboard
with Intel BX chipset and no onboard sound.  I'd think
for use with a PCI soundcard you'd want to turn off any
builtin sound.

-kc