Date:      Thu, 03 Apr 2014 17:36:30 +0200
From:      Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>
To:        J David <j.david.lists@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating less-than-everything with poudriere & pkgng

+--On 3 avril 2014 11:05:49 -0400 J David <j.david.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
| On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 6:41 AM, Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org> wrote:
|> +--On 1 avril 2014 11:18:05 -0400 J David <j.david.lists@gmail.com>
|> wrote:
|> | from perl-5.12.3.4_5a to 5.12.3.4_5a1.
|>
|> Perl 5.12 has been removed about a month and half ago, so, if you were
|> still using it, it's going to be a pain, you should upgrade to 5.16.
|
| Sorry, the version numbers 1.2.3 and 12.3.4_5 were chosen as examples,
| not meant to be taken literally.

Well, yes, just making sure :-)

|> Sure, instead of using bulk -a or bulk -f portlist, just use bulk
|> category/foobar, it'll rebuild only the package you asked for, and its
|> dependencies.
|
| This will cause disaster.  If you do this to rebuild foobar, poudriere
| will also update perl.  Then, when you install the fixed foobar, pkg
| will intall the updated perl.  Then the unrelated package bazqux you
| didn't rebuild but which also depends on perl and isn't compatible
| with the new version silently breaks.  And the first you will hear
| about it is when all the bazqux users from the third floor show up at
| the door to your office with torches and pitchforks.
|
| What we are looking to do is rebuild only foobar and the things that
| depend on foobar, NOT the things that foobar depends on.

Poudriere only rebuilds things to be on the safe side.
Something built for perl 5.14.0 will work with perl 5.14.5.a6_7. If a port
that needs Perl has changes introduced from the Perl update, it will get a
portrevision bump.
If pkg detects that a shared library was updated, it will also force the
upgrade of the depending ports.

--
Mathieu Arnold