Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 01:43:55 -0500
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reformatting a 520-byte-per-sector drive

Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > As of now, it is running this command. Until the machine hangs... (I
> > have a bad widdle 1542CF. But three good 1542Bs. Well, the CF is the
> > only one with a BIOS more intelligent than mud. :-)
>
> I'm not sure I understand.  Is the drive doing anything?  Does the
> machine/card normally hang?

This card will crash any machine. It's known to be broken, but it gets
the job done sometimes. I usually just use a 1542B instead. It's less
painful. Mind, I'm not saying _all_ 1542CF's are broken, just the one I
have in my possession.

> I would expect the blocksize change to go pretty quickly, unless the drive
> automatically does a format or something similar when you change the
> blocksize.  (With other drives, you change the blocksize and then format.)
>
> Can you tell if the drive is doing anything?

It doesn't have a led output, so no. I can hear what I think is
accessing, but it may just be the bearings.

> The other problem you may have with this is that if the drive does format
> itself when you change the blocksize, the timeout for the mode select is
> likely too short.  In fact, the default timeout for generic SCSI commands
> like the one you issued is 5 seconds, which is way too short for a format.

I'm chasing them on the command line ; one right after the other.
(That's not _just_ a grammatical
example!) So, like the energizer bunny, it keeps right on going,
formatting.

--
Kris Kirby
<kris@airnet.net>