Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:06:28 +0000
From:      "dcx dcy" <dcbsdx@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.9-PRE+ nvidia

Hello all! I have posted a message a week before but I am posting a new one
because I need to add some more details on my problem.

So here I go.

I am able to use x11 with base driver "nv" but when I load "nvidia" driver,
startx simply crash my machine and reboot after 5 seconds, but it worked one
time!.

Motherboard:
asus p3v4x
I use a Geforce 256 32 mb.

Version of XFree86 installed on my machine:
XFree86-4.3.0,1
XFree86-Server-4.3.0_9
XFree86-clients-4.3.0_3
XFree86-libraries-4.3.0_5

X was working well before using nvidia driver with 4.8 stable.
I even run this driver on freebsd-current (5.0 not 5.1) for almost a year.
I have compiled nvidia driver many times from ports (even from sources). I
compiled it more that an hundred times.

I have reinstalled this driver each time I rebuild my kernel or
rebuild my world.

I tried to reinstall this driver about 2 times or more after I upgraded the
first
time to 4.9 prerelease (i was using this driver on 4.8 stable).

I upgrade again and rebuild my world on september 11, reinstall driver
again, and it
still doesn't work.

I am also sure that my video card is working properly, as I tested it on my
roommate computer (win2k).

Here is the kernel I use:
FreeBSD kernix.mutex.org 4.9-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.9-PRERELEASE #1: Thu Sep
11 04:48:35 EDT 2003     mutex@kernix.mutex.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DCX
i386

Here is what I have tested:

nvidia driver options:

I tried to compile it using each of theses options:
WITH_FREEBSD_AGP   && WITHOUT FREEBSD_AGP support
FORCE_AGP_RATE
WITH_NVIDIA_HACKS

I have tried to add agp_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf (tested with and
without) (with and without kernel support)

I have tried to add device vesa to /boot/loader.conf

Kernel :
device agp (with or without)
options USER_LDT
options SYSVSHM

I have tried these options also:
#options        VESA
#options         CPU_ENABLE_SSE

My kernel contains all options for nvidia support as in the last readme
provided by nvidia.

Everything looks correct in these directories:
- libGL.so                 /usr/X11R6/lib
- libGL.so.1               /usr/X11R6/lib
- libGLcore.so             /usr/X11R6/lib
- libGLcore.so.1           /usr/X11R6/lib
- nvidia_drv.o             /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers
- libglx.so                /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions
- libglx.so.1              /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions
- nvidia0                  /dev
- nvidia1                  /dev
- nvidia2                  /dev
- nvidia3                  /dev
- nvidiactl                /dev
- libGL.so.1.0.1.0-4365        /compat/linux/usr/lib
- libGLcore.so.1.0.1.0-4365    /compat/linux/usr/lib

Here is what I have done on XF86Config:

Tried all these options commented and uncommented, I began first by using
nvidia recommandations as usual:

        Option      "DPMS"  #monitor devices
        Option      "IgnoreDisplayDevices"
        Option      "IgnoreEDID"
        Option      "NoDDC"
        Option      "NvAGP"                     "0" (tried all 0,1,2,3)
        Identifier  "nVidia"
        Driver     "nvidia"
        Driver     "vesa"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "NVidia"
        ChipSet     "GeForce 256"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        VideoRam 32768

I tried to use default depth 16 instead of 24 because I have seen someone
having problems with that.

Here is the sysctl variable I tried to change :
hw.nvidia.registry.EnableVia4x: 0-1
hw.nvidia.registry.EnableALiAGP: 0-1
hw.nvidia.registry.EnableAGPSBA: 0-1
hw.nvidia.registry.EnableAGPFW: 0-1
hw.nvidia.registry.SoftEDIDs: 0-1

I would like to thank all who give a try to my first post, that's
appreciated :)

I think this is not an "easy fix" but maybe I miss something ?

Hope this helps.
Thanks alot.
Dom.

Here I post my kernel config and XF86Config. I cannot post my own
XFree86.log as i am on a remote location and I am using "nv" driver at home
right now, so only theses "nv" driver logs remains.

MY XF86Config
--------------------------
Logs stop on a line similar like this one in my XFree86.0.log even with
verbose and logverbose options:

(==) NV(0): Write-combining range (0xa0000,0x10000) was already clear.
--------------------------

MY KERNEL
machine         i386
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           DCX
maxusers        0

#makeoptions    DEBUG=-g                #Build kernel with gdb(1) debug
symbols

options         MATH_EMULATE            #Support for x87 emulation
options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         FFS_ROOT                #FFS usable as root device [keep
this!]
options         SOFTUPDATES             #Enable FFS soft updates support
options         UFS_DIRHASH             #Improve performance on big
directories
options         MFS                     #Memory Filesystem
options         MD_ROOT                 #MD is a potential root device
options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660                  #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         CD9660_ROOT             #CD-ROM usable as root, CD9660
required
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         COMPAT_43               #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
THIS!]
options         SCSI_DELAY=15000        #Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console
options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
options         KTRACE                  #ktrace(1) support
options         SYSVSHM                 #SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 #SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 #SYSV-style semaphores
options         P1003_1B                #Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options         ICMP_BANDLIM            #Rate limit bad replies
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options         AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug
                                        # output.  Adds ~128k to driver.
options         AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug
                                        # output.  Adds ~215k to driver.
options        USER_LDT
#options        VESA
#options         CPU_ENABLE_SSE

#IPFW2 SUPPORT
options IPFIREWALL
options IPFW2
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=25
options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_DENY
options IPDIVERT

device          isa
device          eisa
device          pci
device          pcm

# Floppy drives
device          fdc0    at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device          fd0     at fdc0 drive 0

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
device          atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering

#other devices
device scbus
device cd
device pass

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device          atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
device          atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
device          psm0    at atkbdc? irq 12

device          vga0    at isa?

# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device   splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc0     at isa? flags 0x100

# Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
#device         vt0     at isa?
device          miibus          # MII bus support
device          fxp             # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
device          vr              # VIA Rhine, Rhine II

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocate.
pseudo-device   loop            # Network loopback
pseudo-device   ether           # Ethernet support
pseudo-device   tun             # Packet tunnel.
pseudo-device   pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
pseudo-device   md              # Memory "disks"
#pseudo-device  gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
#pseudo-device  faith   1       # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

# The `bpf' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
pseudo-device   bpf             #Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ums             # Mouse

MY  /etc/X11/XF86Config

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
#      Load  "dri"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "speedo"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
         Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

        DisplaySize       320   240     # mm
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "SAM"
        ModelName    "S/M 755DF"
        HorizSync    31.5 - 64.3
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 150.0
        Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"

        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "SWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "HWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoAccel"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShowCache"                 # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShadowFB"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "UseFBDev"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "Rotate"                    # [<str>]
        #Option     "VideoKey"                  # <i>
        #Option     "FlatPanel"                 # [<bool>]
        #Option     "FPDither"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CrtcNumber"                # <i>
        Option      "IgnoreDisplayDevices"
        Option      "IgnoreEDID"
        Option      "NoDDC"
        Option      "NvAGP"                     "3"
        Identifier  "nVidia"
        Driver     "nvidia"
        #Driver     "vesa"
        #Driver      "nv"
        #VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        #BoardName   "NVidia"
        #ChipSet     "GeForce 256"
        #BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        VideoRam 32768
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "nVidia"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    16
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     1
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     4
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     8
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     15
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     16
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Group        0
EndSection

Use custom emotions -- try MSN Messenger 6.0!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_emoticon