Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 19:56:35 -0400
From:      Jon Parise <jcptch@osfmail.isc.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mirroring

On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 04:38:52PM -0700, Deepwell Internet wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but I think he is not talking about
> mirroring at all (file or disk) but replication.  He mentioned
> ghost which is a program written to replicate hard drive
> partitions.  Usually it's used to make a cookie cutter computer.
> For example, you have 150 cubicles each with the same model Dell
> desktop PC and you want to install Windows 98, MS Word, etc onto
> all of them.
>
> I know ImageCast for NT allows you to "cast" an image that is not
> VFAT or NTFS so you could probably do it with that program, but
> you'd be best off to do it with dd.

I've heard good things about Drive Image (from the makers of
Partition Magic).  I haven't used it personally, but they use it in
the labs here to maintain the Linux and NT installations.  It can
restore drive images over the network, apparently.

--
Jon Parise (parise@pobox.com)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology
http://www.pobox.com/~parise/  :  Computer Science House Member