Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:21:07 -0500
From:      David <ddavid@ican.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ->NIC<- Compat and Reliability

On Monday 26 March 2001 13:48, Brett wrote:
> It has NO hard drive; it boots Linux from a CD-ROM. And it's a
> brain dead version of Linux; you can't even get to a shell!

I'm not really concerned about the lack of a hard drive, I guess i
should have mentioned that to start, I'm looking for 10-15 wee little
surfing boxes like this strickly for surfing (and cheap) and possibly
setting up a server for file storage etc..  later on. So something to
this effect would be ideal.

as for a shell, according to this story here:
http://www2.linuxjournal.com/lj-issues/issue82/4475.html
it is possible to bring a shell and to check out the system and any
editing that you would like to do. This story is how i came across the
NIC in the first place.

> Don't know how reliable the hardware is. It might possibly work with
> FreeBSD, but you'd have to do a stripped-down PicoBSD-like kernel
> for it.

:-) this is the first thing that came across my mind reading up on
it.... I think it would be fun trying to make up a bootable FreeBSD
cdrom for this thing. With only 64MB of ram, I think possibly another
64MB's would be required, and with no hard drive, i guess some sort of
"swap across the network" would be necessary, is this even possible?

> If you're looking for small, simple boxes, there are likely to be
> better ways to go. I'd dump the CD-ROM for a small hard disk
> myself.

I would imagine this would be the best way to go, mind you I was
wondering if this might not be the "safest or securest way" when these
boxes will be for a public surfing terminal. Maybe add a few more
programs across the network if required along with file storage etc.

Cheers

David