Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:17:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        nsayer@freebsd.org
Cc:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SRA+IDEA Telnet

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Nick Sayer wrote:

> I originally obtained SRA code from a University in Germany. I obtained
> my implementation of IDEA from PGP. In fact, I used idea.[ch] and #if
> 0'ed
> out stuff that's not needed.

Couldn't you work the code so it obtains all its' encryption functions
from an external library, such as the system's libdes? That would let you
export the code, since it doesn't provide any encryption functions itself,
and international people could use the international DES library (for
other encryption algorithms, pick a freely available implmenetation such
as the one from openssl).

I'm not sure what functionality this provides above something like
SSLtelnet (in ports) or ssh, though. Probably much easier for folks to
just use those.

Kris