Date:      Mon, 8 May 2000 21:52:44 +0000
From:      Darren Wyn Rees <merlin@netlink.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp 'set filter' question

I've succeeded in getting NAT working with ppp.

I haven't configured 'dial on demand' with ppp (-auto etc), as yet.

So, I have a simple network... FreeBSD serving other Windows machines,
as a gateway (do please correct me if I'm using the term gateway
incorrectly here).

What I'd like to be able to do is this :

1)  give the Windows machine a simple means to determine
if the FreeBSD machine is online

2) give the Windows machine a restricted means of 'bringing the link up',
ie. connecting to the Net.

For (1) I considered configuring a simple finger client to
finger a port on the FreeBSD machine which cat-ted a "online"
or "offline". But I couldnt' find an MSDOS finger client !
I thought a simple shortcut on the Windows desktop that opened
an MSDOS box would suffice.  Does this sound reasonable ?
I don't want to force users of the Windows machine to launch
a large application to find out a tincy little bit of info.

For (2), I'm unsure.  I understand I can use 'set filter'.
I've read the ppp man pages, and the 'Packet Filtering' section
(and there was a hint on packet filtering in a sample ppp.conf
that came with Walnut Creek CD).  I'd like to allow the
users of the Windows machines to dial-up by doing something
very definite.  How do other people solve this one ?

Thanks for any useful tips.

	Darren

PS.  I'm /very/ impressed with this OS.  Putting it lightly.
     It's a lot of fun.  It rocketh.