Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 2002 22:24:23 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Ken Gunderson <kgunders@hpb50341.boi.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: intel etherexpress pro and fxp status??

At 02:44 PM 7/9/2002 -0600, Ken Gunderson wrote:
>interestingly enough, a co-worker
>informs me these cards are causing a lot fo grief under load in
>quite a number of linux boxes deployed in hp datacenters.
Hi,

LINUX driver != FreeBSD driver.  Just because one might have problems
doesnt have any bearing on the stability/performance on the other OS.

>apparently the cards just become overwhelmed about once or twice
>per month and just hang until reset.  chip in these cards is the
>82557.  there were numerous issues with fxp around 4.6rc time,

Numerous issues ?  Remember also people post to the list when they have
problems. No one posts, "Hi, I am using the fxp and dont have any problems.
Thanks, bye." The only threads I remember around this were some people with
specific problems on specific SMP motherboards. I dont recall any mass
problems with the fxp cards... For what its worth, we have deployed some 50
servers on various MB incarnations in the past 4 years ranging from 440BX
chipsets to recent 845s and apart from the hardware bug that dg@root.com
noted and _one specific_ (VIA 82C598MVP) motherboard which would crash with
intel nics in them, we have had excellent results with the fxp driver. YMMV.

That being said, if you are just doing experimenting and network
performance is not important, 8139 based realtek which you can probably buy
at $5 each might be fine... YMMV  For production boxes, I would go with
Intels.  Our news server for example has a good 30Mbit/s of traffic on it
7x24 and has Intel nics in it.  The NICs, the OS all perform like champs.

         ---Mike