Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:50:55 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.2 SHOWSTOPPER - em completely unusable on 6.2

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 05:28:24PM +0200, Oliver Brandmueller wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>=20
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 03:16:57AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> > Well, the best I can say at the moment is, "Wow."  =3D-(  I guess the=
=20
> > thing to do here is to figure out if the problem lies with the em=20
> > interrupt handler not getting run, or the taskqueue not getting run.
> > Since you've stated that it seems to be related to shared interrupts,
> > the first possibility is more likely.  However, I'm not sure why the
> > symptom would only be showing up now.  The Intel docs say that the
> > 82547EI are a bit interesting, and I wonder if assumptions that we
> > make about PCI ordering aren't true (or if there are bugs that make
> > our assumptions invalid).
> >=20
> > Does this happen after there has been a lot of disk activity, like a
> > large tar extraction?  Are you using the SMBus interface at all, or is
> > it sitting completely idle?
>=20
> Disk activity does not trigger the problem, I hammered the disk with=20
> around 85 MB/s (dd) for about half an hour without seeing any effect. A=
=20
> CPU bound thing like a buildworld triggered the problem.

I'm not sure that's a valid test by it self.  As things go, dd is pretty
easy on the disk IO system especially with large buffer sizes.  I'd
suggest tar extraction or possible parallel tar extraction.  The goal is
to generate a large number of transations not large transactions.

-- Brooks

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu--