Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:26:23 -0800
From:      Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
To:        efknight@bellsouth.net
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how to change scsi id of FBSD 2.2.8

efknight@bellsouth.net wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Wouild you please explain what your solution does.
>
> After talking to a few other engineers I work with and support  at CDROM it
> was decided that all that needed to be done was to change the sd0 references
> in /etc/fstab to reference sd1 and, of course change the scsi id jumper to
> id1.  I wasnt sure if there were other entries in files to be changed, so I
> asked.
>
> I also have another scsi disk id=0 for win95, the FreeBSD disk is dangerously
> dedicated, so I will have to put a boot manager on the Win95 disk if I want to
> start either OS at bootup time without changing the configuration of my disk
> controller for the scan order for bootable media.  Mty scsi controller allows
> me to scan from low to hi scsi id  or  from high to low scsi id for the first
> bootable drive.  This allows me to not have to use booteasy or any other boot
> manager.
>
> Anyway thanks for your reply, but could you tell me  what it does and when you
> use it.
>
> Ted Knight

Sorry about that, you will put this in at the boot: prompt, and it
tells FreeBSD to use the kernel at the second BIOS drive "1:" using
the first SCSI device slice a "sd(0,a)" named kernel "kernel"

You put this whole command line "1:sd(0,a)kernel" in a file called
/kernel.config

I wouldn't bother at all changing my SCSI IDs around, as it would be
too much of a headache for me to unscrew the drives, fiddle with tiny
jumpers, put them back in and fiddle with /fstab and such.

Try using OS-BS as a boot manager.  It can be set up as having a
timeout and eternal default, so you can boot FreeBSD all the time
unless you choose otherwise.  You'll need the beta version to boot
from multiple disks.
--
Eric Hodel
hodeleri@seattleu.edu