Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 07:15:53 +0106 (EDT)
From:      "eric k. wolven" <wyrdwulf@catskill.net>
To:        freebsd_stuff@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing third party software

---:

If you install from the freebsd port (/usr/ports/whatever),
you don't have to worry where the program puts it, since it does all
installation for you--nice, eh? (though it regularly puts it in
/usr/local).  You may have to "configure" local info, though,
depending on the program.
Try downloading the "pib" program.  It gives you more control over
installation.

I'm not a freebsd "guru" so be guided by those folks who know this
stuff inside-out.

Eric

---Reply to mail from - - about Installing third party software
> Hi all,
>
> This is a basic question but I've been wondering for
> quite a while, so I'll just fire it away in this list.
>
> When I install third party software, say the apache
> server or jdk etc..., where should I install them?
> Some book say, if I remember correctly, all
> system-wide programs should be installed under
> /usr/local.  But some people tell me that install them
> in wherever it has the most HD space.  What is the
> convention used in the real-life?  I'm confused.  Any
> of your opinions are appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> kero

---End reply