Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:32:35 -0400
From:      Chet Ramey <chet@nike.ins.cwru.edu>
To:        alane@geeksrus.net
Cc:        chet@po.cwru.edu, kris@obsecurity.org, roam@ringlet.net, sroberts@dsl.pipex.com, m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portupgrade of bash-2.05b_1 failing now for second day

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 10:18:59AM -0400, Chet Ramey wrote:
> >> Just add a more appropriate MASTER_SITE..we can't do much about broken
> >> FTP sites.
> >
> >Excuse me?  How exactly does ftp.cwru.edu's policy of asking for ident
> >information make it a `broken FTP site'?  The ftp server is waiting for
> >a response to its ident request, and fetch times out.
> >
> >Chet
>
> And if I don't run an ident server, or I run one that returns ERROR
> no matter what, or I don't have that port open at all? Why should I have
> to change my firewall and my system daemons in order to fetch some
> source code?

None of these cases are a problem.  They all return a response, even
if it's just `connection reset'.  It's the dropping the packets on the
floor and leaving the request just hanging in the ether that causes
the problem.

In any event, I had ftp.cwru.edu's anonymous ftp configuration changed
so it won't try ident.  I'm not really happy about doing it.

( ``Discere est Dolere'' -- chet )

Chet Ramey, ITS, CWRU    chet@po.CWRU.Edu    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/