Date:      Thu, 26 May 2011 13:49:05 +0200
From:      Aleksander Steffensen <post@stmm.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble with LDAP-authentication to Apple Open Directory

Hello!

Yesterday I finally managed to get my FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE box to actually =
authenticate to the Xserve, running Open Directory on Mac OS X 10.5 =
Server. I was able to log in to the FreeBSD box (egil.kreativsone.no) as =
a directory user via SSH and also via netatalk.=20

Unfortunately, after a while, it stopped working. I can't remember doing =
anything at all... As far as I know, I made no changes in the =
configuration neither on the Xserve nor on the FreeBSD box. This is what =
happens when I try to log in via SSH.=20

> mp-aleks:~ aleksander$ ssh alekstef@egil.kreativsone.no
> Password:=20
> alekstef@egil.kreativsone.no's password:=20
> Connection closed by 192.168.3.6

Notice that I enter the password once, and then it asks for the password =
once more, but it won't accept the password. Here is the auth.log on =
egil.kreativsone.no:

> May 26 13:18:24 egil sshd[5347]: error: PAM: user account has expired =
for alekstef from 192.168.3.16
> May 26 13:18:28 egil sshd[5347]: Failed password for alekstef from =
192.168.3.16 port 62114 ssh2

I know for a fact that the user account is not expired in Open =
Directory. I have also checked the logs on the Xserve, but can't find =
anything relevant to the problem, so I assume the problem is on the =
FreeBSD-box. Here's the part of my nss_ldap.conf file on =
egil.kreativsone.no, that is not commented out. Everything else is the =
default:

> host jangunnar.kreativsone.no
> base dc=3Djangunnar,dc=3Dkreativsone,dc=3Dno
>=20
> ldap_version 3
> port 389
> scope one
> bind_policy soft=20
> pam_filter objectclass=3DposixAccount
> pam_login_attribute uid
>=20
> pam_groupdn cn=3Dlagring,cn=3Dgroups,dc=3Djangunnar,dc=3Dkreativsone,dc=3D=
no
> pam_member_attribute memberUid
>=20
> pam_password crypt
> nss_base_passwd         cn=3Dusers,dc=3Djangunnar,dc=3Dkreativsone,dc=3D=
no?one
> nss_base_shadow         cn=3Dusers,dc=3Djangunnar,dc=3Dkreativsone,dc=3D=
no?one
> nss_base_group          =
cn=3Dgroups,dc=3Djangunnar,dc=3Dkreativsone,dc=3Dno?one
> ssl off

I tried commenting out the pam_groupdn and pam_member_attributes with no =
success. I was hoping to restrict login to to the group "lagring", but =
it didn't seem to work.

/etc/pam.d/sshd:

> auth            sufficient      pam_opie.so                     =
no_warn no_fake_prompts
> auth            requisite       pam_opieaccess.so               =
no_warn allow_local
> auth            sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so      =
no_warn
> auth            required        pam_unix.so                     =
no_warn try_first_pass
>=20
> # account
> account         required        pam_nologin.so
> account         required        pam_login_access.so
> account         required        /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so      =
no_warn ignore_authinfo_unavail ignore_unknown_user
> account         required        pam_unix.so
>=20
> # session
> session         required        pam_permit.so
>=20
> # password
> password        required        pam_unix.so                     =
no_warn try_first_pass

/etc/pam.d/netatalk

> auth            sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so      =
no_warn
> auth            include         system
> account         include         system
> password        include         system
> session         include         system
> account         required        /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so      =
no_warn ignore_authinfo_unavail ignore_unknown_user

I really need to get this working again. Any help is highly appreciated. =
Please ask if you need more information. Thanks!

Best regards,
Aleksander Steffensen