Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 07:29:49 -0700
From:      Jonathan Mini <mini@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Subject:   Re: hlt when idle?

John Baldwin [jhb@FreeBSD.org] wrote :

> On 01-May-2002 Jonathan Mini wrote:
> > Andrew Gallatin [gallatin@cs.duke.edu] wrote :
> >>  > No, the interrupts seem to be round-robin, but each clock intr is only
> >>  > sent to one CPU unlike on alpha where they are broadcast.
> >>
> >> So each CPU gets (1/num_cpu) * hz  clock interrupts/sec?
> >
> > Yes, but because the timer is set to num_cpu*hz, each CPU ends up getting
> > the normal hz interrupts. That's why it runs round-robin but looks like a
> > broadcast.
>
> Eh, are you talking about the Alpha?  On x86 we don't do this and have to use
> IPI's to simulate a broadcast-type deal.

I am obviously thinking about some other SMP implementation, but I have no
idea which one. Somebody, somewhere, sets the routing of the clock interrupt
to be delivered in a round-robin fashion, and then multiplies the clock
frequency by the number of processors. They're really proud of this solution,
because (they claim) it reduces contentions of clock-triggered events across
processors.

Maybe it was Sun?

--
Jonathan Mini <mini@freebsd.org>
http://www.haikugeek.com

"He who is not aware of his ignorance will be only misled by his knowledge."
                                                        -- Richard Whatley