Date:      18 Sep 2000 22:24:08 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: porteasy

Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu> writes:
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 06:48:01PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > I'm working on a porteasy port, and have two short questions:
> What does it do?  (No, it's not obvious from the name.)

Short version: it builds ports.

Long version: it looks up the specified ports in the index file,
builds a dependency list, optionally updates the port tree using CVS,
and then, depending on command-line options, does a variety of things
to the ports you specified (shows the comment file; fetches all
distfiles; installs the port; builds packages for the port and its
dependencies)

> >  1) What's the maximum tolerated size for files placed in FILESDIR?
> No real limit.

Is 20 kB OK?

> >  2) Could you guys please find a way to list MASTERDIR dependencies in
> >     ports/INDEX? Porteasy currently has no way to know that e.g.
> >     www/w3m-ssl depends on www/w3m to build. I can try to have
> >     porteasy extract MASTERDIR from the Makefile, but it'd be messy
> >     and extremely inefficient.
> make -V MASTERDIR
> is hard?

No, but it means I have to add dependencies on the fly, then go back
and start over until the dependency graph stabilizes. It would be a
lot simpler to have a complete dependency graph from the start.

But it doesn't really matter any more, as I went ahead and implemented
it, and although it's inefficient (more invocations of cvs, which is
costly if you're working against a remote repo), it's not a dog.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org