Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 03:31:09 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM
Cc:        jflists@calweb.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (over)zealous mail bouncing

Tony Kimball scribbled this message on Jul 24:
> Quoth jfesler@calweb.com on Thu, 24 July:
> :
> : We actively block any SMTP session where the MAIL FROM: command  lacks a
> : valid DNS entry.
>
> Okay, this is another issue entirely.  You are requiring that every
> piece of mail have a return path out to the Internet leaf node, yes?
> (Coming to an understanding with one correspondent evidently does
> not mean that one has come to understand all correspondents!)
> That does not guarantee a return path, because there may be further
> transports beyond the edge of the Internet, but probably gets you one
> in the vast majority of cases.

ok... well... I was starting to read up on the RFC's and all you
anti-spammers needed to do was quote rfc821 which talks about the
specification for the MAIL FROM: line...  it reads as follows:
         The first step in the procedure is the MAIL command.  The
         <reverse-path> contains the source mailbox.

            MAIL <SP> FROM:<reverse-path> <CRLF>

         This command tells the SMTP-receiver that a new mail
         transaction is starting and to reset all its state tables and
         buffers, including any recipients or mail data.  It gives the
         reverse-path which can be used to report errors.  If accepted,
         the receiver-SMTP returns a 250 OK reply.

as you can see, you have EVER right to reject the mail when the
reverse-path is invalid...  had someone quoted this long ago, I would of
shut up...  but I was ignorant of the rfc, so I was thinking it was
valid...

> As I understand it, you are only bouncing mail which cannot be replied
> *through* a valid MX or A.  I'm guessing that you could probably
> construct a valid address from the various "Received:" headers in many
> such cases, though.

no, they are bouncing mail which doesn't have a valid return-path...
and actualy, you are required to specify this...

> I suppose this will help to reject casual spam, but it seems to me a
> misdirected effort, since most spam, particularly the large-volume
> stuff from the pros, will not get filtered in this way.  The only
> way I can see to do that is to maintain a large kill list.

I agree...  but I'm going to look at better ways of handling this..
like possibly teaching a machine about our "subdomains" so that we
can have addresses like: "jmg@hydrogen.nike.efn.org@resnet.uoregon.edu"
which is perfectly valid from the mail stand point...  as it is parsed
as "<local part> @ domain"...  plus I have tested this with
godzilla.zeta.org.au, and it was successful in accepting the
connection...

either that or I'll implement uucp from a host...  which might be
in the long run better...  I'll just have to do research and decide...

guess I need to remeber to RTFRFC... :)

happy emailing to all...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD