Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 15:54:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Route table leaks

Have any of you been seeing route table leaks in -current?  I noticed
this week that cvsup-master.freebsd.org is suffering from them.  I
actually had to reboot it because it couldn't allocate any more.  From
the "vmstat -m" output:

Memory statistics by type                          Type  Kern
        Type  InUse MemUse HighUse  Limit Requests Limit Limit Size(s)
[...]
     routetbl150907 21221K  21221K 21221K   462184    0     0  16,32,64,128,256

Watching it again now after the reboot, the {In,Mem,High}Use numbers
are climbing steadily.  Also the references to the default route as
reported by "netstat -rn" are climbing.  (They went from 187 to 193 in
the past 2 minutes or so.)

The machine is running -current from September 29.  It's only doing
a couple of things:

    * Running a CVSup server for the mirrors.

    * Running a shell script which does a CVSup from freefall every
      6 minutes, or as fast as it can go when it takes longer than
      that.

The only other network daemons running on the machine are routed,
syslogd, xntpd, portmap, ypbind, sshd, and sendmail (in outbound-only
mode).  No NFS, no amd.

I can think of some experiments to try in order to start to diagnose
it.  But first, have any of you seen this problem?

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron