Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:16:35 -0400
From:      Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
To:        Baldur Gislason <baldur@foo.is>, Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What can FreeBSD learn from Mac OS X?

On 08/30/02 03:25 AM, "Baldur Gislason" <baldur@foo.is> wrote:

> make world
>
>>    *  Each FreeBSD release is, in essence, a new install.  The user is
>>       given a bit of help with /etc and such, but is required to figure
>>       out more than a few things for him/herself.

Not true, cvs and cvsup.  Make world, wile time consuming, isn't that at
all.

>>       There is no reason why each release shouldn't have detailed notes
>>       (and, preferably, conversion scripts) to assist the administrator
>>       in making the needed adjustments.

/usr/src/UPDATING.   Mergemaster.  These two things can do what you mention
to varying degrees.

>>    *  Mac OS X has specifically opted to put as much as possible into
>>       dynamic shared libraries.  This lets them upgrade the behavior of
>>       the entire system, simply by upgrading the code in the libraries.

Dynamic libraries are good generally, but sometimes you want a static
binary.  From a security standpoint static libs are safer, as well as from
the "oh shit" factor" if you cannot mount anything beyond /.

>>    *  Each FreeBSD release completely supplants the one(s) before it.  By
>>       the time a release is a year old, it's toast: no patches, no support.

Not true.  I have seen security patches coming out for over a year.  Plus
remember FreeBSD is not a commercial product, its a volunteer effort.  Apple
has the resources to maintain legacy, even then they are killing os 9 now.

--Larry