Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:34:35 +0200
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        Nenhum_de_Nos <matheus@eternamente.info>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS - thanks

Hello,

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 09:17:35AM -0300, Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:

> > So now we have this setup:
> >
> > 	NAME               STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
> > 	zfs                ONLINE       0     0     0
> > 	  raidz2           ONLINE       0     0     0
> > 	    label/disk100  ONLINE       0     0     0
> > 	    label/disk101  ONLINE       0     0     0
> > 	    label/disk102  ONLINE       0     0     0
> > 	    label/disk103  ONLINE       0     0     0
> > 	    label/disk104  ONLINE       0     0     0
> > 	    label/disk105  ONLINE       0     0     0
> > 	  raidz2           ONLINE       0     0     0
> > 	    label/disk106  ONLINE       0     0     0
> > 	    label/disk107  ONLINE       0     0     0
> > 	    label/disk108  ONLINE       0     0     0
> > 	    label/disk109  ONLINE       0     0     0
> > 	    label/disk110  ONLINE       0     0     0
> > 	    label/disk111  ONLINE       0     0     0
> >
> > which will get another enclosure with 6 750-GB-disks, soon.

> I've always been curious about this. is said not good to have many disks
> in one pool. ok then. but this layout you're using in here will have the
> same effect as the twelve disks in only one pool ? (the space here is the
> sum of both pools ?)

It is not good to have too many disks in one group. What you see
above is one pool with two raidz2 groups.

As far as I understood the documentation after that helpful
comment on this list, this is the recommended configuration.

-------------------------------
http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide

"The recommended number of disks per group is between 3 and 9.
 If you have more disks, use multiple groups."
-------------------------------

The result is, of course, one big pool with lots of storage
space, but the overhead necessary for redundancy is roughly
twice that of my "dangerous" twelve-disk configuration.

So I lost the equivalent of two disks or about 1 TB here.
Fast, reliable, cheap - pick any two ;-)

Kind regards,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100