Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 14:18:52 +0300
From:      Stefan Stefanov <sstefanov@orbitel.bg>
To:        Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dummynet -> rate limiting

Len Conrad wrote:

> Luigi > With dummynet you can achieve almost the same effect by setting a
> pipe with a very low bit rate, and yes, this will penalize big packets
>
> But if we could filter and rate-limit by protocol type, ie, icmp, smtp,
> ftp, then we could slice our pipe to fit our needs (icmp very low, smtp
> low, http hi, ftp wherever).
>
> I'm trying to decide between ET's bw-mgr or dummynet.
>
> Anybody here leaning on ET's bw-mgr in T1 and better throughputs with lotsa
> rules?

Just a warning

I have been trying to use ET's products since a year and a half. I must
say they are all CRAP! Simply there is no technical support for them...
Mr. Denis Baah even called me and my colegue "fag", when we were trying
to convince him, that his drivers are misbihaving. Even he called Alan
Cox - "stupid"...

For the Bandwidth Manager - it's quick and ugly hack like thing.
sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I have never had any
consecutive equal results. And it makes a rock solid FreeBSD box very
unstable indeed.

I strongly suggets you NOT to buy their products. I would suggets you
use dummynet, or ALTQ - Alternative Queing for FreeBSD. They all work
like charm...

PS:
As from your message I think CBQ - a queing discipline from the ALTQ
package is the way to go.

--
Best Regards,

Stefan Stefanov