Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 1997 19:54:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@brann.org>
To:        ceo@internetuniverse.com (George Hegyes)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need some help with ethernet card configuration

George Hegyes wrote...
[SNIP]

> The ethernet card is an LINKSYS Ether 16 Lan Card (Plug & Play) this
> card is NE2000 COMPATIBLE.
>
> The card is set at 0x300 on irq 10, the system is linked to an windows
> 95 machine with Thin Coax Cable with terminators.
>
> I can not get the cards (I have tried several including two differnt
> brands) to come up without a timeout error.

This generally indicates EITHER bad cable or wrong IRQ.

> I have configured the card using the software that came with them, I
> have
> set the mode from Plug & Play to Jumperless.
>
> There are no reported conflicts that I know of, I have placed the "?" in
> the irq area in the kernals configuation file, the kernal builds without
> a problem.
>
> Can you offer me some help this is driving me crazy.

I have a couple of (cheap) Linksys Ether16 cards - though I don't think
they're PnP.  The IRQ they use by default is 3 (! - used by sio1), so
you might want to go back to the config to set them to a more sensible value,
5 0r 10 should be OK.

As a first cut, you migh try disabling si01 and tweaking the ed0 config
to use IRQ 3 in a '-c' boot.

John

--
Prohibit work, prohibit pay - people are dying!
			Situationist International slogan

finger jbrann@brann.org for pgp public key